What is Naproxen Sodium?
Naproxen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, used to relieve pain, reduce inflammation and fever. The other popular drugs from NSAIDs group are:
The action of Naproxen lasts longer in comparison with drugs mentioned above.
What does Naproxen do?
Naproxen provides analgesia, febrifugal and anti-inflammatory effect. It is mainly used to treat inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
You can buy Naproxen in various release forms: pills, gel, as a part of combined drugs.
Naproxen 500mg, Naproxen 375mg and Naproxen 250mg pills are the most widespread dosage of the drug on the market.
You can also buy Naproxen sodium 550mg, Naproxen sodium 220mg, and even Naproxen 800mg.
What is Naproxen used for?
Naproxen is prescribed to treat the following disorders:
- Inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system (joints in most cases). It is used to treat juvenile arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, reactive and gouty arthritis, osteoarthrosis, ankylosing spondylitis;
- Muscle and bone pain;
- Neuralgia (nervous pains of various origins);
- A headache and toothache. In case of these disorders, Naproxen is an alternative to more widespread drugs, such as Analgin;
- Radiculitis - pains connected with nervous roots jamming in case of backbone pathologies;
- Dysmenorrhea. Women cycle disorders may be accompanied by an expressed pain syndrome. Naproxen is also efficient in this case.
- Adnexitis - an inflammation of ovaries and uterine tubes, which is also accompanied by pain.
- Severe pains as a result of injuries and surgical interventions. Naproxen is often prescribed in hospitals to relieve pain after a surgery.
- Acute pain in case of oncological diseases;
Naproxen may be used to treat diseases, which are accompanied by pain in otolaryngology, for example, to treat pharyngitis (throat inflammation) with acute pain.
The drug can be used as febrifugal medicine to bring down fever. However, the pyretic effect of Naproxen is less expressed in comparison with its analgesic effect.
Naproxen release forms
You can buy Naproxen 500mg, Naproxen 375mg, and Naproxen 250 mg tablets online or at your local pharmacy. These Naproxen tablets are most widespread dosages.
Take Naproxen tablet with a glass of water with or without food.
Naproxen dosage is adjusted individually depending on your disease. Take 500-1000 mg of Naproxen a day divided into two intakes. Daily dosage for maintenance treatment is 500mg of Naproxen a day.
The maximum daily dosage is 1750 mg.
You can buy over the counter Naproxen pills online (no prescription required).
Naproxen can be prescribed for children. That is why Naproxen suspension release form is preferable in this case. Unlike tablets, the suspension has more pleasant taste, it is easily swallowed by small children, and does not have a risk getting into the respiratory tract.
An indication to use Naproxen suspension is the same as for Naproxen pills in terms of pharmacological action.
Usually, you can buy Naproxen 500 ml bottles of suspension. There are 0,125 g of active ingredient in 5 ml of suspension.
Naproxen suspension dosages are prescribed individually for children depending on a type of a disease, age, and a body weight.
Consult with your attending pediatrician before using the drug for children.
Naproxen is also released in 50 ml tubes as the gel. The gel contains 10% of an active component. Naproxen gel is intended for the external use in case of muscle, bones and joint pains.
Naproxen gel can be used in the following areas of medicine:
- Rheumatology. The gel is used to treat such inflammatory joint pathologies as rheumatoid and juvenile arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout (gouty arthritis - an inflammatory process in joints, which is accompanied by acute pain).
- Traumatology. Naproxen gel helps to relieve pain in case of bruises, sprains, and ruptures of ligaments and muscles.
- In case of other muscle and joint pains.
Naproxen is widely used to treat sports injuries. There are a lot of sports ointments with combined structure and with Naproxen as one of the main components.
Naproxen suppositories are also available on the market. One suppository contains Naproxen 250mg or Naproxen 500 mg. Suppositories are used for rectal as well as for vaginal administration in gynecology.
Naproxen sodium is not a separate release form of this medical substance. Any drug containing this non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine may include whether pure Naproxen or Naproxen sodium. Thus, its pharmacological activity does not change.
Naproxen dosage – How much Naproxen can I take?
It is very simple to use Naproxen pills. Swallow pill without chewing it with or without food, washing down with a glass of water. The dosage depends on a type and severity of disease and a patient's health condition.
The maximum daily dosage of Naproxen for adults is 1750mg divided into several intakes.
In case of an inflammatory disease in acute stage take 500 - 750 mg of Naproxen twice a day.
Take Naproxen 500mg daily dosage as maintenance therapy. Take the first at breakfast in the morning and the second at dinner in the evening.
In case of gouty arthritis pains, the first Naproxen pill dosage has to be the highest - take 825 mg of Naproxen as the first intake. Then take 275mg of Naproxen three times a day, every 3 hours.
In case of menstrual severe pains, the initial dosage of Naproxen is 500 mg. Then take 250mg of Naproxen 3-4 times a day at regular intervals.
If you need to take a higher dosage of Naproxen, you may combine Naproxen pills with gel or rectal suppositories in order to avoid possible side effects.
Take Naproxen 500mg one time in case of a headache caused by migraine.
How to use Naproxen for children?
As it was mentioned above, Naproxen oral suspension is a preferable release form of the drug.
Body weight is taken into an account when prescribing Naproxen for children.
Children from 1 to 5 years old should take 2,5 mg of Naproxen for each kg of body weight. The total daily dosage is divided into 3 intakes during a day.
Children over 5 years old should take 10 mg of Naproxen for each kg of body weight.
Make an appointment with your attending pediatrician before using Naproxen for children. The only medical specialist may prescribe correct drug dosage.
How to use Naproxen gel?
Naproxen gel is intended for topical administration. It is applied on injured places of a body, where you feel pain. The gel is accurately rubbed into the skin in a place of injury.
Naproxen gel dosages and frequency rate of use are always established individually, depending on a type and severity of a disease.
Duration of Naproxen external use can be different. Usual therapy duration does not exceed two weeks.
How to use Naproxen rectal suppositories?
Naproxen rectal suppositories are entered into rectum once a day, usually before going to bed at night.
What are Naproxen side effects?
Possible side effects of Naproxen are typical for all NSAIDs:
- Alimentary system disorders (stomach in most cases). Such side effects of Naproxen are usually observed if Naproxen was used in high doses for a long time. People with digestive tract disorders history may also suffer from side effects mentioned above. Inflammation of stomach mucous membrane, emergence ulcers, and hemorrhages are may be observed.
- Minor digestive tract disorders, such as nausea, vomiting, discomfort feeling in upper part of a stomach.
- Small or large intestine erosion, ulcers, bleedings.
- Allergic reactions, such as itch of skin, hives, angioedema.
- Drowsiness, dizziness, sonitus, headaches.
- There are cases of kidney and liver failure.
- Longtime drug intake in high dosages may lead to blood disorders: anemia, decrease of thrombocytes.
The possibility of side effects is lower when you use Naproxen gel, ointments or suppositories.
Contact your attending physician in order to review your treatment scheme, if you experience an adverse reaction after using Naproxen.
Naproxen sodium overdose
Overdose with Naproxen is more often observed if you use Naproxen tablets. Most common overdose symptoms include:
- various gastrointestinal tract disorders;
In case of emergence of adverse reaction listed above, contact your doctor or call the ambulance.
Overdose with Naproxen is usually treated with gastric lavage and taking absorbent carbon.
What should I know before using Naproxen?
It is not recommended to drive a car or be occupied with other activities, demanding increased concentration of attention.
You should have regular checks of your kidney and liver function as well as to check peripheral blood picture if you are using Naproxen for a long time.
Contraindications to using Naproxen
Avoid using Naproxen if you have:
- hypersensitivity and allergic reactions to the active ingredient as well as to other Naproxen components.
- a history of the adverse reactions after using other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- stomach and duodenum ulcer, intestines cankers.
- a history of respiratory disorders after using other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
May I take Naproxen during pregnancy?
Avoid using Naproxen if you are pregnant. Breastfeeding women should also avoid using Naproxen.
It is not recommended to use Naproxen for children under three years old. The safest Naproxen release form for children is an oral suspension.
Naproxen and alcohol
Alcohol strengthens Naproxen action. Thus, it is not recommended to drink alcohol while taking Naproxen.
Can I take Naproxen with other drugs?
Naproxen action can be amplified or weakened if you take it with other drugs simultaneously.
Naproxenum weakens the effect of Furosemide (Lasix) diuretic.
Toxic effect of Methotrexate and Phenytoin drugs is increased when they are used together with Naproxen.
Avoid using Aspirin with Naproxen at the same time.
Naproxen may suppress the effects of various drugs reducing arterial pressure.
Naproxen absorption may be decreased if you take Naproxen with various antacid drugs.
Avoid using Naproxen together with other drugs, which reduce blood cells quantity. Drugs may mutually strengthen the toxic action of each other in case of simultaneous intake.
Keep the drug in a dry place at room temperature away from the reach of children.
Can you buy Naproxen over the counter?
Usually, you can buy OTC Naproxen with no prescription required. You may even order Naproxen generic online – cheap analog of the brand medication.
Is Naproxen a narcotic?
Naproxen is not included in the list of controlled drugs, thus it is not a narcotic substance. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, which does not cause addiction. You can buy Naproxen over the counter online or in physical pharmacy.
Can I take Naproxen and Ibuprofen together?
Both drugs are considered non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. It is not recommended to use both drugs at the same time. This drug combination may lead to unpleasant side-effects, such as stomach or intestines bleeding. There were even lethal cases, as a result of stomach bleeding.
Can you get high off Naproxen?
You cannot get high using Naproxen, because it is not an opioid, like Tramadol or Soma. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), which does not cause the state of euphoria. Unlike drugs containing controlled substances, you can usually buy Naproxen without prescription. Just order Naproxen over the counter online or purchase it at your local pharmacy.
Does Naproxen make you sleepy?
Naproxen may cause some minor mental or physical discomfort, such as:
- slow reaction;
- blurred vision.
That is why yes, you may experience sleepiness while using Naproxen. Thus, it is highly recommended to avoid driving a car or working with potentially dangerous equipment, which may harm you, while taking Naproxen.